Happiness

Happiness
Where dreams come true!
Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 12, 2010

This temple


I Corinthians 3:16 says, "Do you not know that you are a temple of God, and that the Spirit of god dwells in you? 17 If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy and that is what you are."
The body of a Christian becomes a literal temple or dwelling place for the Holy Spirit! How amazing! How wonderful and what a responsibility and privilege! After Christ died on the cross and paid the penalty for our sins, the Holy Spirit was then able to actually inhabit us! There was no longer a need for the veil in the temple and that room called the Holy of Hollies where only the high priest could enter into. Christ death and resurrection changed all that! A new covenant of Grace began and at Pentecost our bodies became temples for the Holy Spirit!
I want to be a good steward of this one earthly body, this dwelling place for the Holy Spirit of the one and only true God! I want to do my best to care for the health of my body and make God proud! I want to do my part to live a long and productive life as healthy and vital as possible so I can do the things God has for me to do!
I grew up under the care and training of a wonderful mother who was also a registered dietitian! Dixie Ann modeled and lived out healthy balanced food preparation, presentation, and dining! Mom always cooked very healthy and tasty meals and even taught us how to do the same! She taught home management skills as she had learned at TWU and she modeled regular exercise and weight control as she had been trained how to manage the diets and meals for an entire hospital of patients who had everything from diabetes to renal failure. She was amazing and I am so thankful I had her has a mom! I knew the four food groups and how much of each you needed a day way back in elementary school years! She made sure we knew how to eat healthy and she provided amazing meals in our home. I have such good memories of smelling her cooking and it was always ready right after Walter Cronkite said, "And that the way it is" as he signed off.
As a result of Mom's training, I have always been aware and concerned with healthy eating, weight control, and exercise. In high school I struggled with my weight somewhat my junior and senior year but while at Baylor I became borderline anorexic my Freshman year. So many people said "you'll gain the freshman 10 or 15 off at college". That actually scared me so I set out to prove them wrong and developed some unhealthy habits of starving and over exercising. I lost 10 pounds that first year instead of gaining but my hair also began falling out and my hands turned orange from eating so many carrots and oranges! Mom had me meet with a dietitian friend of hers the summer after my freshman year of college and she taught me how to maintain my desired weight while still getting my nutritional needs and going about it in a healthy way. From that point on I was successful at maintaining a healthy weight that was even 10 pounds less than my high school weight. As I studied Speech & Language Therapy at Baylor I also learned more and more about our spiritual lives and through BSU Leadership Trainings, various Bible studies, Christian friends and my experiences there I grew and learned the importance of caring for our physical bodies not just for vanity but instead to be responsible stewards of what God had given us. This changed my motivation from selfish motives to scripture based motives.
Hebrews 12:1 & 2 "...let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross,..." and in 2Timothy 4:7 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith."
We have to be good stewards of our physical bodies if we are to run the race (live the Christian life) with all the gusto we can and at our very best! We can't be physical slobs and expect our bodies to perform at their best to do the tasks God has for us to do and for His glory! We can't fight a good fight if we are out of breath, sluggish, tired, lazy, over weight, drunk, unorganized, etc. We must be at our best to give Him our best!
In about 2002 or 2003, Melissa asked me if I would join Weight Watchers with her. She was in high school and we had just built this house and were adjusting to moving from Livingston to Grand Prairie. It was a very stressful time in our lives and I had gained about 20 pounds and Melissa just wanted to shape up and trim down a bit. We went together and it was the best thing we could have done! It as really funny at first, you sign in and pay, then you have a private weigh in and then you go to a 30 minute class. It must be much like AA because people share how their week went and if they lost or gained and what they struggled with that week. Recipes are shared and the teacher gives a very motivating lesson and pep talk and everyone claps for each person who lost weight that week! So funny but it REALLY WORKS! We didn't have much to lose and within months we were at our goal and became Lifetime members and I get to go for free now! As long as I am not more than 2 lbs over my healthy goal weight I am free and only go once a month to weigh and the psychology of it all just really WORKS! You can still eat the things YOU like and lose or maintain, you just count their point value and when you have eaten all your allotted "points" for the day you stop. It's that simple! Weight Watchers was life changing for Melissa and me both. We learned that when you get disciplined in one area of your life, it spills over into the other areas (physical, mental, spiritual, and social) and you get motivated to be the very best you can be in all four of these areas.
At church, our members that know Bill and I even just a little, know that I am the "dietitian" in our house and I keep a Weight Watcher friendly pantry and kitchen. We joke about it allot and people tease and try to sneak doughnuts and other sweet treats to Bill in fun! Our friends know I make Bill take the skin off his chicken and not eat it, won't let him eat fries, (when I am with him!) etc. I make him go to the doctor when needed and I tell him "thank you" for taking care of himself and in turn, he voices his appreciation regularly to me for taking care of myself as well. We walk/run 3.2 miles together regularly, he plays racquetball four or five times a week, golf when he can, I go to Curves and do my new elliptical regularly. We tease allot, splurge once in a while, but all in all we do try to live a healthy and active lifestyle so we can live long and serve God many years to come. We do take seriously the challenge to be good stewards of our earthly bodies or temples as we join God at work wherever He calls us.

2 comments:

  1. You're so inspirational! I always say, "How can we accomplish the ministry that God has called us to if we don't take care of our temples?"
    Any tips for leading others in the right way of eating/exercising without coming across as legalistic or thinking I'm better than them? I always get kind of a standoffish reaction when I explain to people why Justin and I eat the way we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jessica, you are so right, we don't want to come across as judgemental or condescending. I wait for someone to ask me and then I share a little and see if they ask for more! Also, we offered the SBC lifeworks course called "First Place" and had a good group take part! It is really just like Weight Watchers with an added spiritual emphasis. It includes, a short Bible study, scripture memory, and some accountability.

    ReplyDelete