Happiness

Happiness
Where dreams come true!
Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Two Sock Monkeys and Raggedy Ann


I was at Bed Bath & Beyond a few days ago and saw these two brown sock monkeys. My mind was flooded with sweet memories of my two older brothers who each had a doll size sock monkey when we were children. They took their well worn sock monkeys with us on car trips and outings. I carried along my soft huggable Raggedy Ann doll. We all three had our "cuddly" and in these chosen items we found comfort and security when we ventured out into the big and sometimes scary world.

This is my Raggedy Ann doll from my childhood! I am so glad I kept her!
When we were little kids we made a lot of fun memories together. Blake would build me the most amazing two story Barbie condos! Marc would agree to scare away the monsters for me when I was fearful at bedtime. Both my brothers have unique and very different personalities from one another. on family trips Blake would often keep us laughing with his funny comments and amazing noises he could make! Marc was the serious one who "just wanted some peace and quiet" and kept himself busy reading or drawing.
Marc is very intelligent, ananlytical, good at math, and very musically talented. He has always has a natural charm with people and has always wanted to help others. He is now a very good doctor and his patients love that he is a good listener. Marc also has a keen interest in the Stock Market.
Blake is also very smart and very good with his hands. He can envision amazing dwellings and all kinds of things and then create them and bring them to life with his building and construction talents! He is high energy, talks fast, and he has an amazing memory for details. he loves reading the Wallstreet Journal.
In November of 2008 we lost our mother to Leukemia. We all three, technically, became orphans. This past year and a half or more has been filled with processing grief, settling our parent's final estate, adjusting to our new reality, and allowing God to comfort us. His word has been much more than just a "cuddly" to comfort us in this big and sometimes scary world.


When we rode in Mom or Dad's Oldsmobile as a family, to head to church, out to eat, or on a trip, I almost always had to sit in between my two brothers in the back seat. (Once in a great while I got to sit up front in between Mom & Dad because I was the smallest! :)) On long trips I usually ended up with a bruise on each arm, one from each brother! We three monkeys, as Daddy called us, knew to keep it down to a certain level or Daddy's arm would come back toward us, gently but firmly, he'd touch us on the knee, reminding us to "keep it down!" Blake can still make me laugh as he describes Daddy's arm coming back over from the front seat to correct and quiet us!
Isn't that how our heavenly father teaches us, reminds us, corrects us, and quiets us when we get out of control, unruly, or just too loud? Gently but firmly, He reaches back to us with His loving arm and touches us. He reminds us that He is in charge and He is driving. he calms us and quiets us, corrects us when needed, but makes sure He gets us to the destination ahead.
How I miss my Daddy and my Mom. How thankful I am for my brothers and I am thankful that no matter what, we are family, and we always will be. We love each other fiercely and even if we squabble, fuss, or fight, we will also forgive, say "I'm sorry", and kiss and make up!
How comforting is God's word in Matthew 5:4 as it says, "Blessed are they that mourn; for they shall be comforted." and how encouraging is Philippians 4:13 when it says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." How hopeful are the words of Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment