Happiness

Happiness
Where dreams come true!
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pillow Talk!

Last night Bill made me laugh until I cried and my abs hurt! It makes me laugh thinking back over the last minutes of the evening! My husband is really very funny! His great sense of humor and frequent teasing is one of the many traits that first attracted me to him. I don't think all our church members really know how funny he can be! Well, here's how this hilarious evening started.
Remember back when Oprah did a show about "How old are your pillows?" She had an expert on describing in great grotesque details what bacteria, fungal spores and microscopic organisms along with dead skin, saliva, dried sweat, and more are in your pillow! Yes, disturbing to dwell on! Anyway, that show got my attention. I am a bit OCD anyway and I was raised by Dixie Ann Wimpee who took Microbiology in college and taught me all about germs and cleanliness in the home. I change out my pillow about every 4 years religiously. Experts recommend changing it every 1 or 2 years! Yes, look it up! Yikes. I need to do better.
Well, Mary Elizabeth Linthicum gave Bill and I two really nice, top quality, foam pillows made at San Angelo's own Western Mattress Company. What a wonderful thing to give a newly married couple! Bill is a stomach sleeper so he prefers a foam pillow. I prefer a down pillow or a synthetic down. Therefore, the foam pillows became Bill's one by one. Now we will be married 30 years next January. So...... those pillows were given to us, yes, almost 30 years ago! Yes, we still had them until yesterday! I know, I am groaning too, unbelievable as that is they didn't stink and still even looked good but really, there is a season for all things and I laid down the law yesterday to Bill. The pillows had to go. I stood my ground with Bill and insisted that his beloved foam pillow/s had to go and be replaced. We have recently done a lot of updating and cleaning out so this was on my list to do. He was not happy about this but he went with me to Dillard's and selected a new foam pillow to his liking (they only had one to choose from!). He slowly changed them out and sadly placed his old beloved foam pillow in the trash. (Mind you, I have tumbled it and them in the dryer for hours and heated it to oblivion,sprayed it with Lysol and Allergy Fe breeze etc) However, it was way past time to say goodbye to the beloved foam pillow and hello to the new. (We will do better and more frequent replacements in the future, I am determined!) Perhaps, he was actually boosting his immune system! Lol! Who knows! He's hardly ever sick! Lol!
Well, when we got in bed and turned out the lights, said good night, and Bill gets himself all comfy on his new pillow, I could see him since the TV was still on and I was watching a bit more news before nodding off, he didn't seem to settle. He was realizing this new foam pillow was just not right and not like the old one. When he tried to get situated he just couldn't get comfy and this new pillow was too high and actually made his back arch a little when he tried to settle down prone! Opps! Oh, no! I forced him to trash his old favorite pillow and now the new one wasn't working! I couldn't help but start laughing, he was making it so funny, as he'd demonstrate that it would work for sleeping on his side but definitely not for sleeping prone! Oh, no! We were both laughing harder and Bill said, well, this will be good, I'll just have to sleep on my side for 30 more years until I get another pillow! We were howling with laughter by now! I was trying to explain to him that I originally had picked out a foam "Memory Pillow" from Target for him but didn't want to get it without him being there. Then when we'd gone to Dillard's and he picked the one, I thought surely it would be fine! Lol! It was just so funny! Needless to say, I went to Target today after work and bought him the foam "Memory Pillow" and had him TEST it and it is perfect! Whew! I feel so much better now! I was able to let my guilt go for MAKING him toss his favorite OLD pillow and replace it! Oh, my, life with Bill is more and more fun everyday! On our 25th Anniversary, when we went to Disney and stayed at Saratoga Springs Resort for the 1st time we made a vow to "always have fun!" from this point forward, we would always be positive, optimistic, and laugh every chance we could! Bill gets to share so many stories on me and our kids from the pulpit so I get to blog my stories on him! He knows I'm blogging this but I don't always know when he is going to share an illustration from the pulpit that involves me! Anyway, we have some new pillows! How old are YOUR pillows?

This is such a classic and cute movie, "Pillow Talk" with Doris Day and Rock Hudson!

The old, now closed, Western Mattress in San Angelo, Texas, my quaint hometown!




These are the pillows I favor and ordered for myself from the Disney Resort Collection!



I remember when my mother, Dixie Ann, inherited her mother's belongings which included a feather bed. Mom took it to Western Mattress where they sanitized the feathers and made new feather pillows for my Mom! She was amazing at thinking of having things like this done. She never wasted anything! Seriously, just ask her kids or grand kids! They could tell you stories of Dixie Ann and her saving ways!


Mr.Binniker putting the final touches on a new Mattress at the old Western Mattress factory, now closed.

The location where the building still stands today, empty.


All my family is particular about our pillows and our favorite! Cuddly, comfy, always there when you need it! How old are your pillows?













1 comment:

  1. i'm so embarassed...mine are at least 10. i'm headed to get new ones asap!

    ReplyDelete